Effective Date: July 1, 2018
What Information Do We Collect?
During your use of the Website, you may provide us with personal information, such as your name, e-mail addresses, phone number, or other information that could be used to identify you as an individual or allow someone to contact you, as well as any information associated with such information personal information (collectively, “Personal Information”).
As is typical of many websites, our Website also automatically collect certain information (“Usage Information”) when you use it. Such information includes, for example, your IP address, information about your computer or mobile device, a unique ID number associated with your device or other unique identifiers such as advertising identifiers, web browser and operating system information, the language your computer or device is set to, wireless connections you are using, the referring page that linked you to us, general information about your usage of the Website, and the pages, content or ads you see or click on during your use and when and for how long you do so. Among other things, this information enables us to generate analytics reports on the usage of our Website.
In addition to the above types of information, we may deploy various tracking technologies through the Website to collect additional information about your use. For example:
- We may use a pixel tag (also known as a “clear GIF” or “web beacon”). These are tiny images – typically just one-pixel – that can be placed in an online page or electronic communications to you in order to help us measure the effectiveness of our content by, for example, counting the number of individuals who visit us online or verifying whether you’ve opened one of our emails or seen one of our articles.
These tracking technologies may be deployed by us and/or by our service providers or partners on our behalf.
How Do We Use Your Information?
We or our service providers may use the information we collect from and about you to perform the following business functions:
- administering, managing, improving, and monitoring the Website and its performance
- enabling users to use the Website and its features
- responding to your requests, questions, and concerns
- market research
- improving or developing new features and offerings for our Website
- sending you marketing and other communications, including information about products, services, and events, of ours and of others, that we think might interest you (You may opt out of receiving such communications from us by following the opt out instructions in any email communication you receive from us)
- protecting our rights and property
- customizing our Website based on your interests and history with us
- tailoring ads displayed to you while using our Website and elsewhere to your interests and history with us
- other purposes as may be disclosed on the Website
To perform the above functions, we may match information collected from you through different means or at different times, including both Personal Information and Usage Information, and use such information along with information obtained from other sources (including third parties). We or our service providers may also use your information to assess the level of interest in, and use of, the Website, our e-mails and our other messaging campaigns both on an individual basis and in the aggregate.
With Whom Do We Share Your Information?
We may share your information:
- with third parties who need your information in order to provide services to us (or on our behalf);
- when we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights or property, protect your safety or the safety of others, investigate fraud or respond to a government, law enforcement, judicial or other legal request, or to comply with the law;
- in connection with a corporate change or dissolution, including for example a merger, acquisition, reorganization, consolidation, bankruptcy, liquidation, sale of assets or wind down of business;
- as otherwise described within this policy.
In addition, any information that you voluntarily post to public areas of the website (such as in the comment section of an article) will often be readily available to other Website users. Finally, we may share non-personally identifiable information about usage of the Website (including aggregate data) with others, for their own use, in a form that does not include your name or contact information.
We may include tools on the Website that allow you to share and/or publicly post articles, content, or information from our Website to your profile on a third party social network. You may choose to share information about your activities on the Website with such third party platforms and its users, including publishing your information about what content you may have viewed on our Website. If you visit the Website while logged into certain social media platforms, the social media platform may be able to identify your browser and associate the technical information provided by your web browser with other information that they have already collected about you, which may result in their ability to identify you. In addition, when you choose to share information about your activities on the Website with certain social media platforms, we may send technical information about you to that platform as well as information about what content you are viewing.
Do Not Track Disclosures
Some web browsers may transmit “do-not-track” (DNT) signals to mobile applications with which the user communicates. We currently do not change our tracking practices in response to DNT settings in your web browser.
Our third party partners, such as web analytics companies and third party ad networks, may collect information about your online activities over time and across the Website and other online properties. These third parties may not change their tracking practices in response to DNT settings in your web browser and we do not obligate these parties to honor DNT settings. We utilize Google Analytics for our web analytics and you can opt out of your usage data being included in our Google Analytics reports by visiting https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
California Privacy Rights
California residents may request certain details about how their personal information has been shared during the calendar year with third parties for those third-parties’ own direct marketing purposes, unless the business permits California residents to opt in to, or opt out of, this type of sharing. We qualify for this alternative option. If you are a California resident and you have questions about our practices with respect to sharing personal information with third parties for their direct marketing purposes and your ability to opt out, please contact us via this website. You must include your name, street address, city, state, and ZIP code. We are not responsible for notices that are not labeled or sent properly, or do not have complete information.
While we endeavor to protect the security and integrity of sensitive Personal Information collected via the Website, due to the inherent nature of the Internet as an open global communications vehicle, we cannot guarantee that any information, during transmission through the Internet or while stored on our system or otherwise in our care, will be absolutely safe from intrusion by others, such as hackers.
The Website is not intended for use by anyone younger than the age of 13 and we do not knowingly collect Personal Information from children younger than age 13. If we learn that we have inadvertently collected Personal Information from a user who is younger than age 13, we will delete the information from our active databases.